If you plan on hiring a deck builder, you must put in effort to ensure that they are the right fit for the job. They should be able to deliver the results you want at the right price. Keep the following tips in mind to find the right deck builder.
The best way to find a good deck builder is through recommendations from family, friends, and coworkers. Getting a few recommendations will make the search process easier for you.
Read Online Reviews
Consider reading online reviews to get a clear sense of what different deck builders have to offer. Online reviews help you understand how the builders treat their previous customers and whether they can deliver the results you want. Even though should take online reviews with a grain of salt, they can help you set realistic expectations. If a builder has more negative reviews than positive ones, they may not be your best option.
Looking at potential builders’ websites may help you determine how long they have been in business and their services.
You may contact potential builders on the phone or through email. When you contact them, consider asking the following questions:
- Can you secure all the relevant codes to ensure that my deck is up to code?
- Will you help with the design aspect of the project?
- Can I contact you easily?
- How much experience do you have?
- Have you contacted similar decks in the past?
If you get a bad feel from the builder when speaking to them on the phone or through email, you should not work with them. Pay attention to the way they speak with you and their ability to answer your questions.
Schedule a Meeting In Person
If you are satisfied with the answers you get on the phone, consider meeting your builders in person. Take note of the way they treat you from the moment you walk in. Even when a builder is qualified, they are not your best option if your communication styles do not align. During your in-person meeting, consider asking the following options:
- How can you deal with changes in schedule, unforeseen expenses, or stress if something goes wrong?
- Can you build advanced deck designs?
- What method of communication do you prefer?
- Do you work with a regular crew?
- Have many decks like mine have you built? (Regarding shape, square footage, and overall design)
- What is the estimated timeline for my project?
Get an Estimate
When you have narrowed down your options to one or two builders, ask for estimates from both of them. Ask for detailed contracts and go through them. Ask the following questions to confirm that they are legit:
- Can I get a list of references from previous projects?
- Can you provide me with a firm price for the project?
- Can you provide me with insurance and proof of licensing?
Consider working with Deckorum if you are looking for a reliable deck builder. Their decks are eco-friendly and durable.